Fw 190 Startup With Backfire
octane130 / YouTube
One Of Germany’s Finest Warbirds
The Focke-Wulf Fw 190 is a sturdy all-around single-engine fighter designed by Dr. Kurt Tank. Initially, it had several issues such as, leaky hydraulic systems, failed propellers, and jammed canopies among others. After a few improvements however, it has risen to become one of the best fighters Germany has produced.
Here are some quick facts about this fine war machine:
- First flight of the prototype was on June 1,1939.
- Superior in speed and high altitude performance.
- Dominated in air combat for almost a year and emerged as an unmatched champion.
- The Dora variant was also called “Long Nose.”
- Boasts of great pilot comfort.
- Known for its fast roll rate.
With its legendary ruggedness coupled by superior armament, it has excelled in day fighting and ground attacks. At the time of production, it had impressive innovations and advancements that it became one of the most famous aircraft in World War 2. It was remarkable in terms of versatility and ease of use. Maneuverability was also among its great assets. A total of over 20,000 were built and manufactured.